Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Race day, last part

After I got back to the ship the full impact of what I had done, and not done, hit me. I had a hard time dealing with the fact that I didn't do the full marathon. I have never gone into a race thinking I wouldn't finish so even though I knew it was the right decision I struggled with "only" doing the half.

I had a pity party that evening but then knew I had to get over it to enjoy the rest of the trip. The next day I found out that a record number of runners changed to the half from the full, and several people were not allowed to finish due to time constraints.

One of my shipboard buddies was there to complete his seventh continent marathon and he was pulled off the course so he was really disappointed. My roommate got back a long time after I did and she had finished the full but only with the help and encouragement of another runner. It took them 7 1/2 hours and they were not the last ones!

Many people fell frequently including my roommate who fell 4 times, sprained her ankle, had a limp on her knee, and road rash all down one side. Many others had similar stories so I felt lucky to only be sore!

No comments:

Post a Comment