Wednesday, May 15, 2013

April 2, continued

After our amazing whale adventure, which lasted 3 hours, we headed back to the ship and had dinner. During dinner we hit the infamous Drake Passage, and instantly everything started sliding off the tables, glasses and plates were crashing to the floor, chairs were sliding, it was crazy. Trish and I both grabbed for the wine bottle and made  good save! We were about to have the full Drake experience. Here is a photo of my soup tilting-

The ship was rocking and everyone had to hold on all the time, and hold onto our dinner. There was an auction as a fundraiser for ocean study, but the weather kept getting worse, and as soon as the auction was over most people headed to their cabins since the boat was pitching so much. I found it quite exciting and was trying to find others who shared my enthusiasm for wild weather so I headed to the bar, of course!

The only people in the bar were the stalwart bartender and Helen, a great woman and friend. We had a drink and talked and watched the waves. Finally we took pity on the bartender and said we would leave so he could close up, but not until I wrote on the bar chalkboard that Helen and I closed the bar that night!

I finally started winding down and brushed my teeth holding onto the railing by the sink, which was interesting. My berth was perpendicular to the side of the ship so all night I slid back and forth in bed as the ship rocked, and also the up and down feeling of being on a rollercoaster. I loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment