Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Drake Passasge, day 2

After a fun time of roller coaster rides all night I enjoyed staying in bed and watching the show from the cabin window: just water -then just sky -then just water-sky etc as the boat rode over big waves. I took a shower and washed my hair, but it was quite an adventure since I had to hold on all the time to the safety bar in the shower.  Later I made a rookie mistake and was in the middle of the cabin and not holding onto anything and suddenly I was thrown backward against the door - ouch! That reminded me I need to hold on ALL THE TIME. Going up and down the stairs was entertaining since everyone had to hold on and sometimes wait for an especially  big wave to pass before continuing.

Meals were handed out and only what you could hold onto, with a limited menu. The dining room chairs had chains to the floor but not all of them were hooked in and frequently during a meal some people would begin sliding away from the table, then back as the wave passed.

 I spent a lot of time on the bridge watching the show. Amazing to see the waves and watch the bow of the ship go way up in the air and then crash down. At dinner the captain announced that we had been experiencing hurricane force winds and 15 foot waves. I really felt like I was getting the full Drake Passage experience!


After dinner we were all feeling a bit giddy and went to the lobby and took lots of silly photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment