Thursday, June 13, 2013

Getting home -eventually

At the gate for the earliest flight to Detroit I found out I did NOT have reservations, as the agent in BA had told me, so I was on a waiting list, along with Julie from the trip - and 23 others! No waiting list people got on that flight, so Julie and I, and several others from the trip who had later flights, went to the next flight concourse and waited but no waiting list people got on that one either.

With a couple of hours before we could try the next Detroit flight, the group of us went to get coffee and relax. Then we all went to the third Detroit flight but we didn't get on that, either. By then he rest of the group had to go to their flights, so we all said goodbye.

Julie and I were so tired and just wanted to get home but realized being on waiting lists for the next 5 flights was probably not going to get us anywhere. We went to the customer service desk for Delta, explained our plight, and threw ourselves on their mercy.What a difference an agent makes- Julie's was very helpful and worked hard to get her to Detroit while mine acted like she was doing me a huge favor and could hardly be bothered to help me.

Julie's agent figured out he could send her to Baltimore and then to Detroit, so she took it. My agent said her agent shouldn't have done that, and she couldn't do it without charging me a lot of money, and I said no, Julie didn't pay any extra fees, so my agent worked and called and typed and called and FINALLY put me on the same flights with Julie. aarrgghhhh

So.... I had crab cakes in Baltimore more than 24 hours after I should have been at home! Being with Julie was great because she is such fun and relaxed about things so the time passed quickly and we got to Detroit about 7 pm. As I was getting off the plane I received an email from Delta saying my suitcase had been there since early morning and I had better come and get it!
Julie got her bag quickly but nobody could find mine, so an agent, my husband, and I searched all over the baggage return and the Delta storage for it. SO frustrating when all I wanted to do is get in the car and get home. Finally found it and got home about 9 p.m. on Sunday, 36 hours later than the original flight plans!

No comments:

Post a Comment