Wednesday, June 12, 2013

unexpected day in BA

In the morning some of the group went for  a run, but since I was not sure how my foot and butt would feel I ran by myself. In a new area of town so I didn't want to get lost, and ran in a big square of several blocks each way near the river. My foot really hurt after less than 2 miles but I kept going for 3 miles, just so I would be tired and hopefully more able to sleep on the long flight home that night.

We all walked to the Recoleta artist market which was fun and I got a few more things. Then we went to a pizza place- yes, oddly enough, pizza is a specialty of Buenos Aires! The empanadas were excellent and so was the pizza. We had fun and laughs and toasted Martin-it was his birthday and he had planned to spend it with family in Atlanta but instead he had us-not quite a fair birthday trade but the best he could do. And of course one last "Flat Stanley" library card photo with Louann and the empanadas!

It was great to be with so many people who travel a lot and all over the world so nobody was too thrown off balance by the rapid change in plans. Most of us were ready to get home to clean clothes and our own beds, but we had fun and took advantage of one more day in the big city. As we were getting on the bus to leave for the airport I looked up and saw this crazy house on top of a 10 story building- no idea what the story is about it but it was fascinating-

The bus picked us up for the 40 minute trip to the airport and we thought we would have plenty of time to check in, use our free executive suite passes for some drinks and food, and get on board. Of course it didn't turn out that way! Each of our 14 people took a long time to check in, get connecting flights, and confirm reservations. I thought I had reservations on the flight from Atlanta to Detroit but as it would turn out, I didn't. One by one we showed up in the executive suite and I did manage to have a glass of Bailey's and some food and a last chance on wifi until Atlanta, about 10 hours away.

Since we were last-minute people on this flight we had bad seats way in the back in the middle, but we were mostly all together which helped. I was between my roommate Louann and our buddy Bob so that was fine. The flight was ok and I got lots of reading done and a few hours of sleep. We arrived in Atlanta about 5:30am and I sped through customs as quickly as possible, hoping to get to my connecting flight to Detroit...

No comments:

Post a Comment