Sunday, March 10, 2013

worst run of my training = more whining

This will be a lot of whining and I have been thinking about how to make it not a pity-party post but I don't know how to sugar-coat the run yesterday, so here it is and just stop reading if you are tired of hearing about all my injuries and problems! The ironic joke of all this is that in previous weeks when I was complaining about my foot that sounds like the good old days now that I also have a piriformis and hamstring injury...

My butt / hamstring hurt every step of the way, my foot hurt from mile 5.5 -8 and then again from mile 12-15. I don't understand the non-pain in the middle of the run but I will definitely take it. The trail and campus were ok but there were definitely icy spots, and many places where it was hard to tell if it was just wet or ice. I felt crummy the whole time, no energy and too focused on the pain.

To add to the non-fun of the morning, while I was on the river trail on campus I saw an unleashed dog so went to the other side of the river and not too far along that trail I saw another unleashed dog, this time a Rottweiler, and for a while I couldn't see any person who might be with the dog. I crossed back over on a nearby bridge and angrily thought I would just give up on the scenic trail and go up by Wells Hall and around the stadium. As I started up the sidewalk on a hill I hit a really icy patch and started "skating" - two thoughts went through my mind as I madly scrambled to stay upright: 1) that I would fall and hurt something else and that would REALLY make me mad, and 2) that all this scrambling would make my sore butt and hamstring even worse!

Fortunately I didn't fall and my butt didn't feel any worse, but I was still mad to have to run on cement sidewalks instead of the trail due to inconsiderate dog owners. I know I am more paranoid than many people about loose dogs since I was fairly badly bitten by an unleashed German Shepherd but it is still not right for owners to let dogs off the leash in public areas, especially where there are always walkers and runners. That's my sermon for today!

When I got to 12 miles I had already been taking walking breaks more than I wanted to and finally just gave up and walked the last 3 miles. It didn't hurt quite as much to walk but it still hurt. I fortunately had a massage scheduled and the lovely Sarah worked on my piriformis and hamstring a lot, which wasn't relaxing but I know it helped and I was glad to have that done right after my run.

I know it was stupid and short-sighted and selfish of me to do 15 miles because  I am sure it made my injuries worse, but that dumb runner brain kept saying " you aren't ready - you have to do more miles". Maybe some good sense has kicked it because I am going to see about swiming this week instead of running. It hurts to sit down, hurts to bend , hurts to sleep, etc etc etc so I have to get that injury better, especially with an 11 hour plane ride on March 22.

The good news today - Sunday -is that it's 55 degrees!

No comments:

Post a Comment