Sunday, February 17, 2013

FL vs MI for running

Another lesson learned about beach running: great for walking and runs of less than 10 miles , not so great for long runs.

Starting out for 18-20 miles early in 50 degrees Friday morning I was sorry I had my jacket by mile one, had to backtrack for a bathroom by mile two, neuroma hurt by mile five, turned into the wind at mile 6 and then I was glad I had my jacket! At mile six I tried to take an 800 mg Motrin without water- that was a fiasco! After several attempts to swallow it without water I figured out I could take it with some Gu and that worked fine.

Mile twelve: Dropped my jacket and got some Powerade at the condo then headed south with the wind again which was nice. Daytona does a great job with public bathrooms for about 20 miles of beach so I had lots of chances to get some water, which was needed since the temperature rose quickly and it was windy so I needed more water than usual.

The slant of the beach is what I think gave me the blood blister so I tried to do more back and forth this time so I wasn't on the same slant for many miles. I could feel the blister but it didn't bother me until about mile 16. I had taped it and that helped.

It was a beautiful day and great waves but not too many people were out due to the lower temps and the wind. I saw someone walking wearing a fleece jacket, fleece hat, and fleece mittens!

The last 4 miles into the wind was hard and I couldn't talk myself into the last mile to get to 20. My foot was really hurting and my other foot had blisters on two toes so I was DONE.

The good thing about that run is my appreciation for running on the trail in Lansing where you never run for too long into the wind and you aren't on a slant!

Only one more long run before the marathon - that's kind of hard to believe but I am glad, too. Hoping my foot doctor can work miracles when I see him on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment