Thursday, February 21, 2013

HIIT training

Since I am not supposed to do much mileage until the marathon but I still need to stay in shape, I decided to try HIIT, or high intensity interval training. I have been reading about it for a while and liked the idea of a good workout in a short period if time.

Mark and I walked two miles then started the HIIT. The program for distance running said 30 seconds of running at 90 percent of effort, and then 3 minutes of recovery. I set my countdown timer and we started. We were very surprised at how quickly 30 seconds went by, and it took several tries to figure out how fast we could go in 30 seconds. One time a train went by and I couldn't hear the timer beep so we went a bit longer but quickly figured out we should stop!

We did 8 intervals which felt pretty easy but toward the end I could tell it was taking a toll. It was fun, fast, and hopefully it will help me stay in shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment