Monday, February 4, 2013

running to a race

I had determined to run 18 miles Sunday, and also wanted to go to the Super Bowl 5K race to see some friends who were running in memory of our running buddy Ron who died two weeks ago. So I decided to run from Potter Park to the Okemos middle school where the race was, and back again. On gmap pedometer it looked like about 9 miles each way, which would be perfect. In reality, thanks to my nifty GPS watch, it was 8.45-more about that later.

It was 9 degrees when I started about 8:15am, and one good thing -well, the only good thing - about the extrememe temperature is that parts of the trail that had flooded were now frozen so I could get through, though it was more like ice skating than running a few times! I ran to campus, through campus, then east on Grand River, behind Playmakers to Okemos Road, and south on Okemos Road to the school. It was so pretty in the woods, and not even a breeze until I got on the roads. It was lightly snowing the whole time, which meant every step I took was in varying depths of snow and that explains why my quads are sore today- no traction, some slipping, and my running gait changes.

I got to the race just after it started, so had time to get some water, take some Gu, and talk to Jeff Crow, the Playmakers announcer. I told Jeff about Don running in memory of Ron and when Don was running to the finish like Jeff announced it- Ron's daughter Patricia had done the race too, and she and I were in tears when Jeff said that. Both Don and Patricia ran good races and we all wished Ron had been with them.

Since I was starting to get cold and too used to walking instead of running, I headed back to Potter Park. The run back always seems quicker, doesn't it?  My foot had been doing really well until about mile 12 and then got progressively more painful until I was trying hard not to limp. That set off my hip and the area where my back and upper hip meet was really screaming, too. It was more uncomfortable to walk than to run, so I kept slogging away.

I was glad to see my truck but I was only at 17 miles and though I was madly trying to talk myself into being happy with 17 miles and getting off my sore foot, I couldn't do it and circled the Park for another mile to make  the18 miles I had set out to do. Those are the times when I know that even though I am not as mentally tough as some of my running friends I have what it takes to finish a marathon.

Great relief to get in my truck, dry off, and head home. I had to shovel when I got home, due to just enough accumulation that I couldn't ignore it, but then I could relax the rest of the day. My foot was bruised on the top as well as on the bottom, but the good news is that I have both physical therapy and a massage today, so that will help!

No comments:

Post a Comment