Monday, January 7, 2013

19 miles on Sunday January 6

I slogged out 19 miles on Sunday, my longest run so far. The trail was pretty good but the bridges were snow covered and slushy and a few spots were icy. I saw a deer and a Great Blue heron, and tracks in the snow along Aurelius Road near the Zoo that were the biggest bird tracks I have ever seen- as big as my hand!

My husband asked me if my long run was fun, of course "fun" being a pretty relative term! After thinking about it I realized that last time I trained for a marathon it was in the late summer and fall when the trail was never slippery or snow covered, and I often had a friend running with me for part of the run, and a lot more people were on the trail. On my winter long runs I am alone and don't see too many other runners, and always have to watch my footing for ice or snow, so it seems like a lot more work. However, knowing what I am training for makes it worth every step!

I don't use my iPod when I run outside, and so sometimes I get terrible songs stuck in my head, which can get very tedious unless I am distracted by something else- "look! a fluffy cloud!" Oh yes, 4 hours alone outside can make clouds seem exciting...

My foot hurt a lot the last few miles, so I think I need more adjustment to my orthotics. It's always something, but my strained calf tendon and IT band issues didn't flare up as badly as sometimes, so I am glad about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment