Monday, January 7, 2013

training for a marathon in Antarctica

Living and running in Michigan winters for the past 20 years has made running in Antactica a bit less of a challenge than for those living in warm climates. I don't mind running in the winter and have the clothes, trail shoes, YaxTrax ice grippers for my shoes, etc. needed for winter. I used to say I wouldn't run in temperatures below zero degrees air temp, but I did, thanks to peer pressure from my running group The Turtles! Knowing they will show up and not wanting to be the only wimp I of course show up no matter what the weather. Hey, I didn't say we were smart, just dedicated to running.

I started ramping up my long run mileage in early December, adding a mile to each weekend long run. I have built in to the plan several weekends when I know that a long run will not be possible, and plan to do my last long run of 22 or 24 miles on the beach in Daytona mid-February. That is my carrot to keep me slogging away in the cold and slippery weather!

Each long run has brought a different ache or pain, and my physical therapist has been amazing at getting me back on the trail. I have "Team Cherry" as my husband calls it, with the wonderful group of Dr. Kovan for sports medicine, Kelly for therapy, Sarah for massage, and Dr. Johnson for my feet. I had knee surgery in 2008 and foot surgery in 2011 so am glad to be training for a marathon after those potentiallydebilitiating surgeries.

No comments:

Post a Comment