Monday, January 7, 2013

Antarctic trip background

I have always wanted to go to Antarctica. I have a decent collection of books on that subject, and have followed all the treks across the Whilte Continent with fascination. My favorite explorer is Robert Falcon Scott even though his expedition was doomed, and of course Shackleton is a hero and led one of the most amazing true life adventures ever recorded. I like snow and ice and extreme weather, and have alwasy been a traveller, so this is a dream trip for me.

I signed up for the trip originally in 1998 and then couldn't go. I signed up again in 2009 for this trip in 2013, so now it feels really close! I am going alone, since a trip to Antarctica is not most people's idea of a good time, and the cost and planning ahead is daunting. Fortunately I am going with Marathon Tours, the same company that I went to China with, so I know it will be a good trip and I like most runners. I am shy by nature so this will be a big adventure in more ways than one. My family is very supportive of the trip and excited that I am achieving a dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment